Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Enjoying the simple accomplishments in life


I learned a life lesson from Dylan the other day that I thought would be worth sharing.  The other night while I was out with all the Bruce women, Ryan was home with the kids doing "homework" (practicing letters and numbers). Anyway, while Hannah and G worked on their schoolwork Dylan sat quietly putting together wooden puzzles.  Ryan said after each piece he put in the puzzle he would clap with excitement for his accomplishment.  So, Monday while I was home with the kids I also worked on puzzles with Dylan and again after each piece was correctly placed in the puzzle he would clap.  
This made me think about a lesson I had just learned from my 19 month old son.  I'm not sure about you, but I tend to struggle with self esteem issues.  I don't give myself enough credit for the things I do accomplish in my life.  Most of the time, I am so consumed with the things I don't do correctly that I miss the opportunity to feel joy and happiness for the things I do right.  I have thought quite a bit over the past couple of days about how sad it is that in life each of us starts out so innocent and happy, always so proud of the things we accomplish each day, but as we grow feelings of doubt of self worth start to creep in.  We slowly start to compare ourselves to others or feel like the talents we have to offer in life don't compare to what our friends or other family members might have. Therefore creating feelings of low self esteem and poor life satisfaction.   
This makes me sad.  I hate thinking that someday my little boy that is so happy and carefree, will someday be faced with feelings of doubt and lack of accomplishment in his own life.   
Therefore, it has made me reevaluate my way of thinking.  I want to do all I can to help my children understand that they are just as special and talented as the next person.  Each one of them is unique and have been blessed with their individual special talents.  Some more outward than others but not any more important.
Also, I hope to be a better mom to them by helping them understand that although they will be faced with tough times in their lives, that will inevitably bring them down, they have lived the best life they could and should be proud of it! And they can count on me to always be cheering them on.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks, I needed the reminder myself. I overlook the 100 small things I accomplish each day and beat myself up for not achieving the 1 big accomplishment I yearn for. It's sad that we lose the ability to see ourselves the way we do as children and to appreciate the little wonderful things each day.

Carlee Hoopes said...

Allie,
This is a great post. I have thought of this as well...how the world just beats us down. I'm like you and I don't have very much self esteem with a lot of things...especially my parenting abilities. I look at other moms and think I don't even come close and I feel bad for Maggie. But, just reading books with Maggie is something that maybe a lot of other kids don't get, so I gotta be more positive. It makes me sad that Maggie will perhaps one day feel like me. Hopefully I can be like you and always cheer her on. Kids really do teach us great things.

Also, I need to get a wooden puzzle for her. I never know what new things she could do that will help her and I think a wooden puzzle would be great in a few months. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post sweets! And if you are wondering, you do many more things right than you think. Like buying me a Marie Calendar banana cream pie. That was VERY right. Thanks for that and thanks for all you do for me and the kids.

Kay B. Pierce said...

You are very talented and creative. You do need to give yourself more credit--but then I think that is a part of human nature to look at our weaknesses and downplay our strengths. And wait until your kids get older and remind you of your weaknesses.